In order to contain the coronavirus pandemic, the Federal Chancellor has invited the heads of the recognised church and religious communities to a consultation. In view of the recent situation, measures have been jointly agreed.
The following measures therefore apply to the Archdiocese of Vienna:
- Meetings of all kinds (indoors and outdoors) mean a high risk of transmission and must be cancelled until further notice.
- Worship services will therefore take place from Monday, 16 March 2020 without the physical presence of the faithful. But the Church does not stop praying and celebrating the Eucharist. Priests are called to continue to celebrate the Eucharist for the community and for the world. The faithful are invited to participate through media (radio, television, online stream, …) and to join in prayer at home.
- All postponable celebrations (baptisms, weddings, etc.) must be postponed.
- Burials should take place on a small scale and only at the grave, outside the church. The Requiem, or other liturgical celebrations in the course of the funeral, are to be postponed to a later date.
- Further meetings (group lessons, sessions, preparation for the sacraments, Bible circles, prayer groups, retreats …) are to be cancelled.
- Churches are kept open during the day for personal prayer.
This means that from Monday, 16 March 2020, church services, events and also guided tours (church, crypt, monastery etc.) will be suspended until further notice.